Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Lets go Matariki!

 Kia ora Koutou! Ko Lucinda Toku ingoa. Matariki is creeping upon us, but Toroa is already organized. To celebrate the Maori new year (2 July 2021) we decided to go for a beautiful piece of extraordinary art to showcase one of the most popular star constellations. Matariki, the mother, and her six daughters, Tupu-ā-Nuku, Tupu-ā-rangi, Waipunarangi, Waitī and Waitā, and Ururangi.

My Art pieces! This type of art is called 'Printmaking' You usually do it on foam.
Which one do you like best? 
Interested in this type of art? Want to celebrate Matariki in a unique way?
Heres all the steps to make this beautiful art;
1. Find some information about Matariki. What time do they come out? Are there any other names for Matariki?
2.  It time for a draft! Get out a piece of scrap paper and fold it a quarter of the way. Sketch your mountain, Mt. Cook, Mt. Arthur, etc. making sure that your Mountains don't take up the whole page. Here comes the Matariki part.
3. Look up a map of Matariki to see exactly where the stars go. Copy that onto your scrap paper but draw it backward. When you print it onto your paper, it will be reversed so as to make sure it's the right way, when you onto your foam draw it backwards.
4. Time to GENTLY draw it onto your foam. Making sure to draw it backwards again too. Remember, DO NOT down hard on the foam otherwise, when you put the ink on it, it won't look very good.
5. Next, get an assortment of ink colours and using a roller (It sounded like a cat rolling its tongue!) to roll on the ink. Make sure to put heaps on so, it doesn't look drained. 
6. Leave it to dry for a while. Decide whether or not you would like to put a border on it but I would recommend doing so.
7. BOOM, you've got your amazing Matariki art.
I love Matariki because it really showcases our Maori culture. I hope you like my art.
Blog ya later!


  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy! its daisy here. I think your art look really pretty! maybe next time you could separate your description into paragraphs? again, yours looks really cool, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post.